Thursday, September 3, 2009

More upsets, and other U.S. Open goings-on

Today's conclusion of the second round of the U.S. Open contained so much drama, it would be easy to overlook some of the less drama-filled matches. But there was more to the action today than just big upsets.

Sara Errani defeated a very up-and-down Patty Schnyder. Down 1-5 in the first set, Schnyder then reeled off four games in a row, but performed terribly when serving at 5-6. Errani won the first set 7-5, then easily won the second, 6-2, upsetting the 19th seed.

Gisela Dulko upset 30th seed Alona Bondarenko, 6-4, 6-0, and Shahar Peer all but ran over Carla Suarez Navarro, 6-2, 6-0. Yanina Wickmayer defeated Peng Shuai in a match I wish I could have seen, and Katarina Bondarenko allowed Shenay Perry to win only two games.

Is anyone else exhausted from today? I had some time off and was able to watch the tournament, but three of my favorite players--Patty Schnyder, Jelena Jankovic and Sabine Lisicki--were all playing their matches at the same time. I tried to watch all three at once, and I think I blew something out in my neurological structure. To make matters worse, all three of my players lost, and two of them held match points.

No comments: