Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chakvetadze advances to quarterfinals of Pilot Pen

Former top-10 player Anna Chakvetade defeated Sybille Bammer today to advance to the quarterfinals in New Haven. Her next opponent will be either Elena Vesnina or 9th seed Samantha Stosur.

Amelie Mauresmo also advanced to the quarterfinals. 8th-seeded Mauresmo will face either top seed and doubles partner Svetalana Kuznetsova or Yanina Wickmayer.

Advancing to the second round today were Stosur, Marion Bartoli, Flavia Pennetta, and Caroline Wozniacki.

2 comments:

Todd Spiker said...

Whew! Vaidisova's freefall continued today, too. She lost in the opening round of Open qualifying. So did Coco Vandeweghe and Sloane Stephens, though I still can't believe that at least one of them wasn't given a wild card into the main draw (I mean, Vandeweghe WAS the Girls champ in '08, after all).

Diane said...

I'm displeased that Coco didn't get a wild card. I think she and Sloane both should have gotten wild cards, in fact.

I wish Wienerova had gotten past the first round of qualifying, too.

As for Vaidisova, I always thought she was a fairly gifted player with a paucity of competitive skills. I figured she would "outgrow" the latter, but it didn't happen.