Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Kid squeezes past the Kuz

Usually, if I cannot finish watching a match--especially a three set match--I become very upset. I could not finish watching the Miami semifinal between Victoria Azarenka and Svetlana Kuznetsova today because I had scheduled something early in the afternoon that I had to attend. I would have liked to have seen the entire match, but I wasn't really that perturbed that I couldn't do so: It was not a pretty sight.

It wasn't like there was an absence of great shot-making. There was plenty of it, but it never lasted long because both players made so many errors and because the momentum shifted faster than you could say "Svetlana Kuznetsova" or "Victoria Azarenka." There were twelve breaks of serve in the match, with Azarenka taking the first set easily, and then completely losing her way in the second. When I had to stop watching, I had no idea who would win, but--after struggling mightily to do so, with four match points--Azarenka closed it.

Azarenka def. Kuznetsova, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.

2 comments:

Matt said...

It might not have been high quality, but it certainly was tense.

I want to congratulate Svetlana on having such a good run here particularly without a coach. I hope she returns to the top 5 soon.

Diane said...

Yes, I hope Sveta can keep having these good runs. She is way too talented to not win some of these tournaments.