Friday, February 6, 2009

Miscellany

Jelena Jankovic has replaced Maria Sharapova in the draw for the Open GDF SUEZ in Paris.

Australia and New Zealand have gone to the final of the Fed Cup Asia/Oceania Zone World Group I playoff. Australia posted a 3-0 win over Taiwan, and New Zealand defeated Indonesia 2-1. The winner of the final will move to the World Group II playoff.

Tennis Channel has some very funny footage of 15-year-old Maria Sharapova in its feature, "Their Game Before Fame." However, the host comments that--if tennis doesn't work out for Maria--she can always become a "cameraman." Because in order to operate a camera, obviously, you have to be male.

Steve Tignor says of Dinara Safina: "She’s also developing an intriguing, if unfortunate, persona as a terminal second-fiddle: Younger sister to a star, French Open finalist, Olympic silver medalist, Aussie Open finalist. Her current ranking fits her to a T for the moment..."

Steffi Graf and her husband, Andre Agassi, have become investors and spokespeople for the London-based online ticket sales company, Viagogo Ltd.

5 comments:

Herzblut said...

>>>>>>the host comments that--if tennis doesn't work out for Maria--she can always become a "cameraman." Because in order to operate a camera, obviously, you have to be male.<<<<<<

oh, FLASHBACK! When I was 14 or so, I wrote to the BBC, asking for any information they could give me about being a camera operator.....signed with just my initial, and surname; and got a reply addressed to "Mr. etc".....

Diane said...

You see how much things have changed, Claire?...

...Oh, wait--I almost forgot: I'm a paleofeminist and am out of touch with everything (or so I was told by "hip" people during the last election).

Herzblut said...

hip, my arse(as the saying goes here)....which reminds me of a quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy": about someone being so hip they should have two bums.....

Diane said...

Really.

In the U.S., we really cherry-pick whose civil rights matter. Guess whose don't?

Herzblut said...

I got myself tied in knots wordwise there a wee bit.....was meant to say I agree with you.... :)