Monday, June 2, 2008

Every day, in every way...

I hate ESPN2 more. Both men's and women's French Open round of 16 matches are being played, all of which I would like very much to see, so ESPN2 is showing the Federer-Benneteau match, which has already been completed, and the Sharapova-Safina match, which has already been completed. Do they really believe that tennis fans are content to miss big matches, and that non-tennis fans are going to tune in in droves on a Monday afternoon to see Roger and Maria?

3 comments:

skivvy said...

Hi Diane,

Being that this is your blog, I hate to do this, but I disagree with you.
I like Mary Jo Fernandez and the team they've assembled to cover this slam.

Diane said...

I'm not complaining (not on this post, anyway) about the commentary, Skivvy, but the fact that ESPN show smatches we have already seen on Tennis Channel while actual, live matches are taking place.

Todd Spiker said...

In this particular instance, I believe that two of the matches that were going on were the five-setter between #5-seed Ferrer and Stepanek, as well as the Ljubicic/Monfils match with France's best young hope. I think there were women's matches, too, but those two really stood out as at least deserving some acknowledgement during live coverage.

I think part of it has to do with it being on clay and being the French Open, though. I think ESPN thinks the U.S. audience isn't going to stick around as long as it might at a "more important" slam, at least in "American terms," so they "stick to the script," which can be quite annoying at times.

ESPN seems to "clean up" its act a bit during Wimbledon (partially because it's carrying morning action when those "bigger" matches are live), and hopefully will do so at the US Open starting next year, too.