Sunday, April 20, 2008

2008 Family Circle Cup: What they said

Some of the best quotes from this year's Family Circle Cup:

"She has a really good style of play. She gets a lot of balls back, and those kind of players are usually around for a good 20 years."
Serena Williams on rising star Alize Cornet


"It's not easy, working with a Russian...but he's doing a good job...for a Frenchman."
Vera Zvonareva, acknowledging her coach


"We all used to play scrabble, and Martina used to make up words."
Chris Evert, on Martina Navratilova


"...I'm going to Germany for a show called Beat the Stars and it's sort of an athletic and brainy competition with an athlete and a normal person..."
Martina Navratilova


"...if you don't take your chances in tennis, you can get outa here really fast, so you know, it's fine. I can at least celebrate my birthday like a normal human."
Maria Sharapova, defeated a day before her 21st birthday


"No, my parents wanted me!"
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, on being told she was an "accident" (on the tour)


"Every year they invite both of us, and it's like no, no and no."
Chris Evert, speaking of herself and Navratilova and Dancing With the Stars


"Her father is her coach, but Michael Joyce does all the work and her father does the screaming. She does some screaming, too."
Bud Collins on Maria Sharapova


"Because she just stopped [making] mistakes and started to push the ball back, and I just couldn't put three balls on the court. That's it."
Anna Chakvetadze on how the match momentum shifted to her opponent


"I see number ones in the world in girls in 12 and unders. You know, I think it's going to be probably another five or six years before we see any. And I hope nobody from the USTA heard me say that."
Chris Evert

No comments: